Have you ever bought something in the wrong size and found out only when you tried it on at home? You have probably been in such a situation, especially if you’ve ever bought anything online. But even the clothes of the right size often become too small or too big after you wash them. However, if you just follow some simple rules, you can easily buy jeans or a sweater that will look perfect on you.
1. Getting the right measurements
- Hip circumference: Measure the hip circumference while standing sideways in front of a mirror. The mirror will help you avoid a mistake because you need to fix the measurement tape on the most prominent part of your backside.
- Waist circumference: To measure the waist circumference, place the tape on the thinnest part of your stomach.
- Chest circumference: To measure the chest circumference, place the tape on the most prominent parts of the chest. The tape should be higher on the back than on the chest.
- Neck circumference: This is mostly used to determine the size of shirts for men. Place the tape around the neck so that it is at the base of the neck.
After you have taken the measurements, compare the result with this chart and choose the right size.
- US — American size
- INT — International size
- EU — European size
2. We don’t pay attention to the recommendations from the manufacturer.
When choosing clothes online, remember that the sizes may differ between different manufacturers. Every website has its own charts with the parameters that you should take into account.
3. When choosing the size, we don’t take the fabric into account.
In order to avoid a situation when clothes instantly become too big or too small after washing, look at the fabric the article of clothing is made of: cotton and wool become smaller after washing, but synthetic and cotton clothes become bigger. Besides, take the recommendations of the manufacturer into account. Look at the pictures on the tags.
Clothes that you can buy in a larger size:
- Sweaters made of wool: Firstly, close-fitting clothes keep warmth much worse than those that are a little loose. And secondly, there is a high probability that the wool fiber will become smaller after washing and the clothes won’t fit. By the way, in order to avoid the shrinking of clothes after washing, you should dry it in a horizontal position on dry towels.
- T-shirts, underwear, and other cotton clothes: After washing, cotton shrinks quite a bit, so you shouldn’t buy clothes of exactly the size you need. However, if the clothes contain elastane, you can choose your usual size.
- Shirts and blouses with a collar: When trying such clothes on, pay attention to how tight the collar is. If there no room between the collar and the neck, you should buy a bigger size because there is a risk that the collar will literally strangle you after washing.
Clothes that you can buy in a smaller size:
- Knitted clothes: It doesn’t matter what threads were used: the clothes will stretch anyway. That’s why it’s better to buy knitted clothes that are one size smaller. Otherwise, you’ll notice that by the end of the first day, the sleeves are longer than they are supposed to be.
- Jeans: Despite the fact that jeans are made of cotton, denim clothes become bigger after the first time you wear them. The only exception is that jeans have special elastic fiber so they don’t become bigger.
- Polyester: The clothes made of this synthetic fabric often stretch, especially in the lower part. You can solve the problem by buying articles of clothing that are one size smaller.